What are pharmacy requests?
Pharmacy requests allow your patient’s pharmacist to request prescription changes, renewals, or prior authorizations at the touch of a button—no more time-consuming phone calls!
Responding to change requests directly from RXNT streamlines communication with your patient’s favorite dispensing pharmacies.
Are you still receiving phone calls and faxes from pharmacies for change requests?
Make sure your pharmacist knows that RXNT is ready to receive requests directly!
Types of requests
- Renewal request
- The patient has requested a new prescription for their existing medication.
- Generic substitution
- A brand name medication was prescribed, but the pharmacist or patient would like to use an available generic medication.
- Prior authorization required
- Electronic prior authorization (ePA) is needed before the medication can be dispensed.
- Therapeutic interchange/substitution
- An alternative medication is requested by the pharmacist, including a change in the days supply or quantity for the original prescription.
- Drug use evaluation (DUE)
- The pharmacist requires the provider to review and confirm whether the prescribed medication is appropriate for the patient.
- Script clarification
- The pharmacist needs clarification on the prescription in order to dispense.
- Out of stock
- The original prescription is out of stock at the pharmacy.
- Prescriber authorization
- Prescriber authorization is needed for the pharmacist to dispense the prescription.
A pharmacy can send a change request for a controlled substance even if you are not enrolled in Electronic Prescribing for Controlled Substances (EPCS). Simply deny these requests, and follow up with a written or phoned prescription order.
Responding to a request
Review the request
Tap the Pharmacy Requests tab on the home screen to view your requests. The type of request will be indicated below the prescription details.
Changes from the pharmacy will be displayed. Evaluate the request and approve, change, or deny it.
Approve the request
Select the requests you'd like to approve, then tap Approve.
If the pharmacy includes multiple alternatives, select More Options to see other proposed medications.
Select your desired medication, then click Approve.
NCPDP 2017071 and Surescripts require that up to nine medication alternatives be displayed for change requests. These alternatives may or may not display in order of formulary preference.
Approve with changes
Tap the arrows, then select Edit Rx from the three dots in the upper right-hand corner.
Change requests for prescriber authorization or prior authorization cannot be edited.
Make all desired changes, then tap Update.
Review the changes that you made, then tap Send.
Deny the request
Select the requests you'd like to deny, then tap Void.
If you'd like to deny a request, simply void it. Don't cancel the prescription—canceling is only used to stop the pharmacy from filling the original prescription.
Prior authorization requests
Approving a prior authorization request will automatically initiate electronic prior authorization (ePA) for the pharmacy benefit manager (PBM) or payer.
The status of the prior authorization can be found by logging into the desktop version of RXNT, then navigating to the ePA Worklist from the utilities menu.
Still need help? Contact us!
Have a great idea? Tell us about it!